Built between 1827 and 1835 to house textile workers the block shaded in consisted of 14 'back-to-back' houses. With no proper sanitation and an open sewer running nearby there were many cases of cholera in the district between 1830 and 1850. The 1861 census shows that there was an average of six people living in each of the houses, most of them of Irish decent. By 1871 the overcrowding had grown worse. One of the 4 houses with cellars had 19 occupants.